Sweden’s oldest letter still in existence is from 1164 and is about the Wenngarn area. Through the centuries various influential people have lived at and ruled Wenngarn, from the House of Vasa, statesmen, knights and privy councillors.
In 1653 the property was sold to Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie who turned the medieval fort into a magical castle with a magnificent Baroque park. In 1916, Sweden’s the first institution for the rehabilitation of people suffering from alcoholism was opened here.
Today, Wenngarn is a thriving village community, with openness and participation being its leading principles. It is free to visit and there are activities for all ages and interests.